September 19, 2021

SMH

Santa Maria History

Shirley Contreras: June history highlights incorporate the initial Elks Rodeo in 1944 |

June 12, 1874: Guadalupe Lodge #237 F & AM was established in a conference held at the Odd Fellows Lodge.

June 4, 1881: The 1st assembly of what was to develop into the Hesperian Lodge #164 F & AM was held in Central Town.

June 17, 1907: Santa Maria’s Metropolis Council permitted strategies for Carnegie Library.

June 26, 1918: The armed service began drafting men to serve in Entire world War I.

June 29, 1925: Bertram Hancock was killed when the Arlington Lodge in Santa Barbara collapsed throughout an earthquake. His father, Allan Hancock, was critically hurt.

June 25, 1927: Santa Maria Elks Lodge #1538 was organized.

June 26, 1927: Louis Noire Crawford was elected 1st Exalted Ruler of Elks Lodge #1538.

June 1928: Setsuo Aratani took his baseball workforce on a 3-month tour of Japan.

June 9, 1928: The Minerva Club signed a deal with O. C. Marriott & Business to start out function on its new clubhouse. Complete value was $12,959.92.

June 20, 1929: The hottest day in background recorded temperatures of Santa Maria to attain 105 degrees, creating pavement to buckle up as higher as a foot in some parts of the city.

June, 1935: The Pleasant Valley College shut with Thelma Chamberlain Battles serving as the school’s last teacher.

June 1937: The Los Alamos Grange was arranged as component of the California State Grange, the oldest standard farm affiliation in California.

June 19, 1939: A agreement signed concerning the United States government and the Hancock College of Aeronautics furnished that the university would supply the two main traveling and floor teaching to Military personnel and to matriculate just before January 1, 1941.

June 3-4, 1944: The initial Elks Rodeo was held at the present Santa Maria Fairpark at Stowell Road and Thornburg Street.

June 16, 1944: The initial shipload of 584 German POWs, arrived at Camp Cooke. By January 15,1946, the POW population had grown to 8700.

June 30, 1944: The Hancock School of Aeronautics deal with the U. S. govt was terminated.

June 1945: P-38 training was discontinued at the Santa Maria Army Air Discipline.

June 30, 1945: A P-3 plane crashed into Rusconi’s Café in 100 block of South Broadway

June, 1946: Camp Cooke shut immediately after WWII. The complete camp was then leased for agricultural functions.

June 10, 1950: The freshly organized Santa Maria Valley Minor League held opening day ceremonies at McClelland Park (now Simas Park).

June 7, 1967: The fountain in Central Plaza was committed to nearby dance instructor, Marjorie Corridor.

June 1, 1969: Temple Beth-El, Santa Maria’s very first synagogue, was focused.

June 21, 1971: The Santa Maria Occasions described that the seal depicting the ship, “Santa Maria” would be the city’s new seal. The seal was developed by Advert-Arts.

June 1, 1974: Rear Admiral Owen Siler, who graduated from Santa Maria Union High Faculty in 1938 and from Santa Maria Junior Faculty in 1940, was appointed Commandant of the United States Coast Guard.

June 29, 1974: The Guadalupe’s Masonic Lodge #237 celebrated its centennial.

June 28, 1978: Linda Glines became the to start with woman to serve on Santa Maria’s Fire Department when she volunteered for assistance. On June 14, 1980, she was serving as a total-time engineer.

June 20, 1998: Santa Maria was named an All-America City by the Nationwide Civic League.

June, 2000: Lompoc’s Louise Mollath was named Lompoc’s lady of the Century in recognition of her various contributions to the Lompoc Valley.

June 2, 2002: The Rancho de Guadalupe Historic Museum opened at 1005 Guadalupe Road in Guadalupe.

June 3, 2003: Mayor Lavagnino presented a proclamation to Rod Rodenberger declaring this date as “Santa Maria Indians Day” and congratulating the group on its 60th anniversary.

June 5, 2005: The U. S. Air Pressure Demonstration Squadron (better recognised as the Thunderbirds) declared its new pilots for the 2006 demonstration season. Involved in this team was Nicole Ellington Malachowski, the first woman pilot in its 52-calendar year heritage. Malachowski was born in Marian Clinic in 1974 and afterwards attended Bruce and Adam Educational facilities, and Fesler Junior High University. The Ellington household moved to Upland in 1987.

June 21, 2005: Santa Maria resident Andy Wilson was inducted into the Environment Martial Arts Corridor of Fame in Las Vegas.

June 13, 2009: Glenn Battles was the featured speaker at June’s The Valley Speaks. He talked about the history of the Battles relatives as nicely as the Pleasurable Valley College where his mother Thelma Battles, served as its last teacher in advance of it closed.

June 12, 2010: Sally Cappon, showcased speaker of the June 2010 The Valley Speaks, talked about the influence of Vandenberg on the population of the Santa Maria Valley.

June 6, 2010: Mayor Larry Lavagnino introduced Ernie Corral and Eddie Navarro proclamations proclaiming 60 a long time of Small League Baseball in Santa Maria.

June 11, 2011: Susan Silviera, visitor speaker at the June of 2011 The Valley Speaks, talked about the heritage of the Portuguese in the valley, heading back again to the late 1880s.

June 9, 2012: Richard Weldon was once more the highlighted speaker at the June of 2012 The Valley Speaks. Dick talked about the background of Santa Maria. Not only is Dick an specialist on the city’s history, but has the images to show it.

June 13, 2013: Monthly bill Wurth was the visitor speaker at The Valley Speaks. Monthly bill talked about the heritage of the frozen food stuff marketplace and the making of the John Inglis Frozen Meals plant.

June 28, 2013: The California Agricultural Heritage Club honored the Adam loved ones for its 125 yrs of farming on the Central Coast of California. This award was introduced in Sacramento at the California Condition Truthful.

June 14, 2014: Scott Nicholson, who serves as president of Plantel, Inc., was the June of 2014 highlighted speaker at the The Valley Speaks. Nicholson talked about the history of both vegetable transplanting and Plantel.

June 12, 2015: Pauline Taylor, the visitor speaker at June’s The Valley Speaks, talked about the history of the Knudsen Creamery.

June 12, 2016: The June of 2016 guest speaker at the every month Valley Speaks was Doug Doherty who talked about Joe Hagerman, a long-time valley resident who was active in a lot of places, from sports activities to radio announcing.

June 3, 2017: For the initially time in 60 yrs, the Santa Maria Large School Saints, gained the Southern Part Division CIF Championship by defeating Moreno Valley by a rating of 9- in Riverside.

June 16, 2017: The highlighted speaker at the June of 2017 The Valley Speaks, was Mike Farris who talked about interesting excerpts from the Santa Maria Situations.